Music Banter - View Single Post - Worst band on earth?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 03:58 AM   #455 (permalink)
Don
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Dont kid yourself, im dead serious...Yes have made the transition from Pyschedelic Rock to Prog to New Wave to Pop and back to Prog again...And they always remained successful, and like many great bands they have endured some really bad times and still managed to come back on top, plus they have influenced bands as disperate as ELP, Rush, Queen, Iron Maiden, Janes Addiction, Primus, Muse, Mars Volta and Red Hot Chili Peppers and even Led Zeppelin has called Yes a influence on their 70s work, you can hear a lot of it on their Houses Of The Holy album and tracks like Battle Of Evermore, also band members have contributed for other great artists like David Bowie, Black Sabbath, King Crimson, Queen, Tangerine Dream, Badfinger, Cat Stevens, John Lennon and Elton John...Yes pretty much brought progressive rock to the spotlight in the early 70s, their importance to the genre is only matched by King Crimson and argubly Pink Floyd...And DT?...Whats their legacy?...Going from wanky prog metal to wankier prog metal to super wankier prog metal to super duper wankier prog metal?...Wow, thats diversity.
Their legacy is their amount of fans and their contribution to prog-metal. At any rate, I don't know about you, but I like bands for their music, and not their status on any basis. It's pretty sad if you like a band just because of how many bands they've influenced.

Quote:
Another very hypocritical statement, have you read the album sleeve to Close To The Edge?...The band knew exactly what they were doing and made it pretty clear, they were going for a very trippy, out of this world kind of experience, and they succeded...I dont think Petrucci has ever really summed up what DT were about, at least while being completely honest...The truth is Dream Theaters music never has a direction, at least Yes know the meaning of the word Try.
DT have always had a direction in every album they've created, hence the variety, I can't remember what MP exactly said so you can look it up if you want.

Quote:
The only truely horrible album Yes did was Talk... Union and Open Your Eyes were mediocre but they still had their moments...Tormato wasnt great but nowhere near as bad as some critics make it out to be...And you are wrong, Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence and Train Of Thought were boring pieces of crap, also.
ToT is one of the greatest prog-metal albums ever and one I play often, I don't think it's possible to like prog-metal and hate that album at the same time, it's just that good.

Quote:
Magification >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Octavarium.
Octavarium was a bit of a gamble and it paid off for the most past. The title track is breathtaking.

Quote:
But its still not worth arguing that Yes are a way more original and important band than Dream Theater could ever be.
Originality and importance are both irrelevant to me in liking my bands, although DT are far from unoriginal.

Quote:
No i said maybe for a reason...Rick Wakeman and Tony Kaye are both better than Jordan Rudess, and they have worked with more musicians than i can count...
Oh give me a break with anyone being better than Rudess already! Wakeman is a bloody hack even though he is skilled. I can't help but lol at his silly fast show-off solos that just repeat over and over - he puts no heart into it whatsoever from what I hear. It's like "look at me everyone, I can play several keyboards at once and hit the same key over and over really fast, I'm so cool!"

Quote:
Bill Bruford is better than Mike Portnoy and thats not even worth arguing
MP isn't so great but like I've said before, he contributes to the music a lot more than most drummers in the business, and that includes Bruford.

Quote:
...I wont deny that Petrucci is more technicaly skilled than Steve Howe, but i have never heard a riff from him that was half as good as the one in Siberian Khatru,
Now that's a tragedy.

Quote:
and Howe can still play solos that are off the wall, Soundchaser and Yours Is No Disgrace for example, plus he has a great tone variety, Petrucci's tones can be so bland,
Petrucci has never played a bland note in his life, bland is the perfect word to describe every musical element from Yes.

Quote:
i also consider Tony Banks and Trevor Rabin to be more interesting guitar players than Petrucci
lol. As a side note, did you click my link forwarding to Hollow Years L@B?

Quote:
...And John Myung and Chris Squire are close skillwise, Myung might have the edge, but as far as greatness is concerned he is nothing compared to Squire, Squire is one of the most innovative and important bass players of the past 30 years, his individual influence far exceeds that of every other Yes member, Myung is but a mere mortal in comparison...Plus every Yes song (even the bad ones) has a interesting bassline, i cant say the same for Dream Theater.
Yes, Myung isn't a recognised bassist, hence why I say he's vastly underrated. His bass lines aren't always top-notch but there's no way you can say every Yes song has an interesting bass line without being biased, that's just silly. Most of the bass is just following the root note and doing little exploring while Myung often keeps up with Petrucci's intensity.

Quote:
..Also Jon Anderson and Trevor Horn are both better singers than James Labrie, hell Steve Howe is a better singer than Labrie and hes horrible.
Anderson is one of the worst singers in the history of prog, and even some Yes fans would agree with me here. I can understand for someone to say "LaBrie sings like a girl," but I would fail to comprehend it if someone listened to "Another Day" or "Surrounded" and said LaBrie can't sing - that's almost as bad as saying Rudess can't play.

Quote:
Its a great bassline, basslines like that were unheard of back in those days, its not super technical like many of Myungs lines, but its still more interesting than anything from DT...His bass playing on Yours Is No Disgrace, Heart Of The Sunrise, The Fish, America and Close To The Edge is godly, those performances are not just something anyone can pull off.
I agree with the 'unheard of back in those days part' somewhat, but once again, I don't care about the past. Music evolved and the bass lines of today are much more interesting than in any old school prog track.

Quote:
You think Wakemans keys on South Side Of The Sky and Roundabout are lame?...Pathetic....Listen to Hunky Dory with David Bowie, Wakeman is a virtuoso keyboardist.
I have heard every Yes album and have certainly heard a lot of Bowie, so I'm obliviously aware of Wakeman's talent. I've already explained my dislike for him up there.

Quote:

Yes can make a song thats over 20 minutes long and still keep me interested until the end, DT could make a 6 minute song and i would fall asleep midway through, thats how boring they are...And as far as songwriting is concerned, Dream Theater could never ever make a song as catchy and creative as I've Seen All Good People.

I swear to God, no one in the world could pay me enough money to force me to sit through a 20+ min Yes epic. On the other side of the coin, DT have made timeless epics with "A Change of Seasons" (arguably the best Prog metal track ever) and "Octavarium."