Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Discussions for "Adults"
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 11:45 PM   #1224 (permalink)
DMBFFF
I like the green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
U2 blows

I've seen PiL live and half of Bauhaus now =)

the US has gothic post-punk too it's just called death rock
Say what?

Somewhat harsh and not too accurate, but Johnny Lydon is a has-been Angeleno whose musical career essentially petered out sometime in the mid-1980s. Bauhaus/Tones-on-Tails/Love-and-Rockets/Peter-Murphy had a few good songs, but some of that music hasn't aged that well either. I liked Bela Logosi's Dead for several weeks, maybe a few months, and tried a little to like it a few years after that because we all try to be hipsters, I suppose.

U2 started in a small Vatican-dominated country to become one of the most successful bands, perhaps the most successful band, in history. For all the songs I like of the aforementioned, I might name twice as many U2 songs I like (though some are dependent on the mood).

The poetry of Bono's lyrics compares with Cohen or Dylan, while PiLs?

"I could be wrong, I could be right.
I could be black, I could be white."

lame.

"Sleep comes like a drug, in God's Country."

"Don't believe in excess, success is to give.
Don't believe in riches, but you should see where I live."

"Don't believe in the 60s or the Golden Age of Pop,
you glorify the past when your future's dried up."

"Death Rock" sounds like a possible throwaway phrase by a critic maybe living in the 1960s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathrock
Quote:
Origins
The earliest influences for some deathrock acts, such as 45 Grave for example, can be traced to the horror-themed novelty rock and roll acts of the late 1950s and early 1960s such as Bobby "Boris" Pickett and Zacherle with "Monster Mash";[11] Screamin' Jay Hawkins with "I Put a Spell on You"; Screaming Lord Sutch & the Savages with "Murder in the Graveyard";[12] and Don Hinson and the Rigormorticians with "Riboflavin-Flavored Non-Carbonated Poly-Unsaturated Blood".[13] These songs used sound effects to create a creepy atmosphere, dealt with taboo subjects (such as cannibalism) in a humorous, often campy manner.
As I understand it, post-punk, as the name implies, came after when a lot of people thought punk was dead, and some of it's branches were referred to as post-punk. Goth likely came a little later—and there's probably some overlap of these styles; and whatever Lucem Ferre is posting about sounds mostly this century.
DMBFFF is offline   Reply With Quote