Music Banter - View Single Post - Worst band on earth?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 06:09 AM   #464 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
How so?

You could say the same about classical music if you really think all music that dosent rely on great vocals or lyrics lacks emotion...And how can you say a band cant be emotional instrumentaly?
To me, all prog music I've heard (apart from Queen, depending on whether you want to call that prog or not) was a musical equivalent of an idiot sitting a philosophy exam. All pretention, concept and pseudo-cleverness. My biggest problem with it, though, is how badly structured most prog is. Ok, by most I mean, the music I've heard in the prog genre, which put me off wanting to hear much more.

In classical music, as the analogous example you mentioned, there are changes in key, tempo, texture etc. all over the place, but these changes are carried off (in the good compositions) so well that you hardly notice they have occured. The mood of the music changes but, unless you're really trying to figure it out, you often don't know why. This isn't the case in most of the prog I've heard, where the key/tempo changes are usually very abrupt, clumsy and ugly. Music can be clever, but sound raw and instinct and while prodding your emotions the whole time. Music that SOUNDS clever is, in my opinion, a level below music which hides how clever it is.

Having said that, I'm aware that I haven't listened to as much prog as I have many other genres, so there are doubtless subtleties to it that I've missed. Because I didn't like it. I do like Rick Wakeman - from having been taken to his concert by my dad once - but the few YES songs I've heard really didn't do it for me and, from what I've heard, this probably means that I would not go much on other prog bands.

Oh, I do like the Mars Volta too. Are they prog? I like them because they're nuts.