Music Banter - View Single Post - Worst band on earth?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 06:46 AM   #465 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRunMeOver
To me, all prog music I've heard (apart from Queen, depending on whether you want to call that prog or not) was a musical equivalent of an idiot sitting a philosophy exam. All pretention, concept and pseudo-cleverness.
Ah i f*cking hate the word "pretentious", all music is pretentious in some way, thats really a part of what music is all about...Pretending.

Quote:
My biggest problem with it, though, is how badly structured most prog is.
I seriously hope you are joking.

Quote:
Ok, by most I mean, the music I've heard in the prog genre, which put me off wanting to hear much more.
Dont be shy, make a list of what you have heard.

Quote:
In classical music, as the analogous example you mentioned, there are changes in key, tempo, texture etc. all over the place, but these changes are carried off (in the good compositions) so well that you hardly notice they have occured.
And this dosent apply to prog because?

Quote:
The mood of the music changes but, unless you're really trying to figure it out, you often don't know why. This isn't the case in most of the prog I've heard, where the key/tempo changes are usually very abrupt, clumsy and ugly.
Classical music isnt abrupt?....abruptness is often times part of the intention...As for clumsy and ugly i dont know where you got those ideas from...Most prog bands do have extreamly capable musicians (which apparantly means they suck) but they find ways to channel their abilitys into making an actual composition and as a attempt to do something different rather than just mere technical wankery, which is a profession for guys like Dream Theater...I dont agree with the idea that only technicaly limited musicians should be allowed to experiment, like in alternative rock...Of course im a big alt rock fan, so dont get me wrong.

Quote:
Music can be clever, but sound raw and instinct and while prodding your emotions the whole time.
Not all music should follow the same rules, and thats what annoys me, too many people critisize prog because it dosent really follow any of the rules associated with simple rock n roll (as examplfied by AC/DC and The Ramones)...But for heavens sake, imagine how boring music would be if every band today sounded like The Ramones.

Quote:
Music that SOUNDS clever is, in my opinion, a level below music which hides how clever it is.
To me what the music SOUNDS like is all that really matters, themes and lyrics are great, but they dont make the music, the musicians make the music, the music makes the music...In my opinion, a good melody means much more than some great lyrics, a band could make good music and horrible lyrics or a band could make horrible music and good lyrics, and the lyrics dont mean a thing to me if the music sounds horrible...I think too many people try to limit music to being nothing but someone reciting poetry over a repetitive beat.

Quote:
Having said that, I'm aware that I haven't listened to as much prog as I have many other genres, so there are doubtless subtleties to it that I've missed. Because I didn't like it. I do like Rick Wakeman - from having been taken to his concert by my dad once - but the few YES songs I've heard really didn't do it for me and, from what I've heard, this probably means that I would not go much on other prog bands.
Get Fragile and The Yes Album, i think you would like them if you gave them a chance.

In fact very few prog bands sound alike (in my opinion) and just because you dont like Yes dosent mean you wont llke other bands..So you cant say all prog is just like what you described because of what you have heard...There are few rules in prog.

Quote:
Oh, I do like the Mars Volta too. Are they prog?
Very.

Quote:
I like them because they're nuts.
Me too.

Try King Crimson.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.