Music Banter - View Single Post - Worst band on earth?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 08:30 AM   #466 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Ah i f*cking hate the word "pretentious", all music is pretentious in some way, thats really a part of what music is all about...Pretending.
Not really. Pretentious doesn't mean "pretending", it means 'an attempt to impress others' or 'trying to appear more important or distinct than it is'. My current view of prog would fit that.

Quote:
Classical music isnt abrupt?....abruptness is often times part of the intention...As for clumsy and ugly i dont know where you got those ideas from...Most prog bands do have extreamly capable musicians (which apparantly means they suck) but they find ways to channel their abilitys into making an actual composition and as a attempt to do something different rather than just mere technical wankery, which is a profession for guys like Dream Theater...I dont agree with the idea that only technicaly limited musicians should be allowed to experiment, like in alternative rock...Of course im a big alt rock fan, so dont get me wrong.
I though I said the changes between sections and the harmonic modulations were abrupt? Having capable musicians certainly, to me, makes a band better. Trying to do something different is admirable, but at the same time there's no real point in praising somebody for trying something different if the end result doesn't sound great.

Its quite possible that these criticisms are aimed at the 'prog' that I have heard and recognised as 'prog'. Maybe I've heard some prog music and enjoyed it, but because I liked it I assumed it was some other style. I'm sorry, but I can't list which ones I've heard, as I tend not to remember the names of music I heard once and didn't like. Doing otherwise would be a waste of memory.

Quote:
To me what the music SOUNDS like is all that really matters, themes and lyrics are great, but they dont make the music, the musicians make the music, the music makes the music...In my opinion, a good melody means much more than some great lyrics, a band could make good music and horrible lyrics or a band could make horrible music and good lyrics, and the lyrics dont mean a thing to me if the music sounds horrible...I think too many people try to limit music to being nothing but someone reciting poetry over a repetitive beat.
You and me both. Writing lyrics are important, but if you can't make good music to go with it then you're essentially just a rubbish poet, not a songwriter. The music comes first.

Quote:
Get Fragile and The Yes Album, i think you would like them if you gave them a chance.
If I find a way to obtain it for free, with very little effort involved, then I shall. Otherwise... I won't.

Quote:
In fact very few prog bands sound alike (in my opinion) and just because you dont like Yes dosent mean you wont llke other bands..So you cant say all prog is just like what you described because of what you have heard...There are few rules in prog.
You'll certainly be right in the case of some people. You may be right in my case.