Music Banter - View Single Post - Worst band on earth?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 09:11 AM   #469 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontRunMeOver
Not really. Pretentious doesn't mean "pretending", it means 'an attempt to impress others' or 'trying to appear more important or distinct than it is'. My current view of prog would fit that.
Again that can apply to pretty much anybody, if you think Paganini and Mozart didnt try to impress people you would be wrong, and heck, are you really going to tell me The Beatles werent pretentious?...How about Little Richard who really thinks of himself as the inventor of rock n roll, or what about Bob Dylan and all these punk and folk bands writing songs about everything they hear on the news because they think their opinions are important enough for people to hear it?...A lot of metal, rap and indie is pretentious..Are you going to tell me John Cage isnt pretentious?...The guy who made a 4 minute track of complete silence?...How about Radiohead and David Bowie?...The Doors?...Jimi Hendrix?...The Who?...Led Zeppelin?...I love them all, but they were all pretentious in ways.

Quote:
I though I said the changes between sections and the harmonic modulations were abrupt? Having capable musicians certainly, to me, makes a band better. Trying to do something different is admirable, but at the same time there's no real point in praising somebody for trying something different if the end result doesn't sound great.
Thats really a matter of opinion, there is bad prog just like there is bad anything, but theres also a lot of good prog, and i wouldnt like it if i didnt think it sounds great, the musicianship involved is just a bonus.

Quote:
Its quite possible that these criticisms are aimed at the 'prog' that I have heard and recognised as 'prog'. Maybe I've heard some prog music and enjoyed it, but because I liked it I assumed it was some other style. I'm sorry, but I can't list which ones I've heard, as I tend not to remember the names of music I heard once and didn't like. Doing otherwise would be a waste of memory.
Ok, so im not even sure of what you have actualy been listening to...but you should drop by the prog ed thread and check out some of the bands listed, and you can do so with.

http://www.progarchives.com/

Theres a huge variety of bands listed, and theres a whole bunch of MP3s worth checking out, you're bound to come across something that will catch your interest.

You can also search through Myspace Music files.

Quote:
You and me both. Writing lyrics are important, but if you can't make good music to go with it then you're essentially just a rubbish poet, not a songwriter. The music comes first.
What did i just say?...I LIKE prog music for the music, nothing else really, and still you're saying it like every prog band has mediocre lyrics, which certainly isnt true, Genesis and Jetrho Tull have very above average lyrics...Im really curious to find out who these bands are that you have been listening to.

Quote:
If I find a way to obtain it for free, with very little effort involved, then I shall. Otherwise... I won't.
Progarchives is a good place to start, but i could send you some stuff through PM or AIM if you want.

Quote:
You'll certainly be right in the case of some people. You may be right in my case.
You can take my word for it.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.