Music Banter - View Single Post - Stevie Ray Vaughan
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #110 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOffMyLawnKid View Post
I hope you're not talking about this guy. Even Joni Mitchell could run circles around this dude on guitar. Yikes!

^ Welcome to MB, GOMLK , and welcome to that vast and startling world: Frownland's musical enthusiasms. If you want a tip from an old hand, get out now, quick and shut the door behind you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muso Goodshot View Post
There is no way SRV is better than Hendrix, and he would probably be the first to say that, he loved Hendrix himself.
^ Welcome to you too, Muso! It's alway good to meet a new blues enthusiast here, but these "better than" contests only go so far really as so much is down to personal taste. For what it's worth, this is my own take on SRV:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
From what I`ve read, SRV sounds like a really nice guy; a sincere performer with a deep commitment to his music,an enviable guitar technique and the good sense to stay accessible to his audience.

Sad then that I have to go along with some of the negative comments on this thread.The Texas Flood album, for instance, has some great playing but always leaves me wanting something more. The problem, in my opinion, is the short-and-sweet format of the songs : a lot of them are only 3 mins long and include lyrics that distract from the guitar work. Maybe that`s down to the record company trying to shoe-horn SRV into their idea of a palatable formula, or maybe it`s down to my limited tolerance for banal lyrics.

Whatever the case, perhaps someone can suggest an SRV album where the guitar solos open out a bit more, in the style of Tin Pan Alley or Lenny ? In return, if you like languid, lengthly explorations of electric blues, I can strongly recommend Roy Buchanan. His Second Album and Millenium Collection feature 6-minute instrumentals of poignant, hard-edged, searing guitar that take you so far out from the main tune that you forget which track you`re listening to - and I guess that is what I`ve never yet got from SRV.
Eight years later, and I'm still waiting for that SRV album with long rambling solos.