Music Banter - View Single Post - Performing Covers and Copyright Laws
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 02:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
dreadnought
Bitter Rock Star Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
You can't be sued just for playing a song

It's trying to sell songs that aren't yours that gets problematic

The people coming to the show are paying to get into the venue, not paying for each individual song that you play, so you're good to go
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy-Fi View Post
It's the responsibility of the venue to have the proper licensing to cover the legal requirements. They usually have what's called a "blanket license" and pay a yearly flat fee. Any band or performer playing at the venue is automatically covered via the venue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank. View Post
You can cover songs and perform them as much as you want. It's distribution of the song you bump into issues. When you distribute music the is owned by someone else, weather it's you performing it or not, is when you bump into legal issues. You have to attain proper licenses from the artist, usually it's from their management, to distribute the song.
Thank you all for answering my question. A friend of mine and I have made a CD of 14 Christian songs we have written. We'd like to go around to Christian churches and gatherings in the area now and do concerts. Would we have any copyright issues if we included a few covers in the performance?
dreadnought is offline   Reply With Quote