Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2019, 10:49 AM   #778 (permalink)
Curiouss
Groupie

Default Pop in the Digital Age

Hi all, newbie here. I have just spent much of my weekend listening to some of the most popular music from almost every era. First I did classical music from the 11th century to the 20th century. Then I did pop music from the 50s to the present. I'm 22, and I thought most of it was beautiful all the way through. However, I just have to ask. What the hell happened in the 2010s?

To my ear, the current most popular music, which includes artists like Drake, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Post Malone, (new) Eminem, and (new) Justin Bieber, is very different to the most popular music of every era before us. If I'm not mistaken, there are two main themes - being 'cool', and 'relationships' which lack genuine love (which is more than a feeling, and involves respect). Obviously there were a few wild cards before us (*cough* Britney Spears *cough*). But, as I was listening to the music of our era, to round out the glorious musical history of our civilisation, I couldn't help thinking - are we living in a teenocracy? Are these not what teenagers care about - being 'cool' and wild flings? Why, compared to previous eras, is there so little popular music that speaks to what mature human beings care about?

Now, I am not saying that there is no good music today. Or that there is no good popular music. On the contrary, I am sure there is incredibly high-quality music being produced all the time, and that a lot of it hits the charts. It is just that, overall, the most popular music of today seems very different in outlook. Why is this?

Could it be that, since we have been transitioning to the digital age, music sales (which include digital sales as well as streams) have been skewed in favour of the younger population? If this is the case, then future generations will look on the pop music of the 2010s and say 'It was an interesting time, as pop reflected the values of teenagers and young people - but thankfully, it is no longer like that.'

Or could it be that since, in the digital age, music has become more freely available, pop music has shifted to reflect what we are most eager to search for, rather than what we are most willing to go out and purchase?

Could it be that the evolution of popular music through the 2010s is natural, and can be explained by cultural forces?

I do not know! But I sure do scratch my head about this sudden transition.

Last edited by Curiouss; 02-24-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Curiouss is offline   Reply With Quote