Music Banter - View Single Post - 2018 Album Favorites: Anteater Reviews 'Em
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #93 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
5. Kindo – Happy However After

Genre(s): Math Rock, Art Rock / Indie Rock

Sounds Like: The Reign Of Kindo, American Football, The Dear Hunter

The Reign Of Kindo (now just Kindo) have always stuck out of the musical landscape in a good way to me - ambitious, vocal-driven pop colliding head on with a technical, knotty math rock approach to composition. To that sense, they come off at times as a group with prog-rock chops who have listened to a lot of Jamiroquai and Keane, but leader Joseph Secchiaroli is such a powerhouse on guitar and vocals that it's easy to get caught up in the sheer joyousness that permeates their arrangements.

Opener 'Human Convention' serves as both a punchy mediation on the topic of permanence whilst becoming tighter and more technical as it proceeds over a 3 1/2 minute run, complete with a late 60's horn section breakdown about midway through and a conga solo. Beyond that, that album jumps between more technical, funk-oriented pieces and stuff that veers toward more a ballad-esque structure. Of the latter type of song, 'Catch The Gleam' has a cheesy but glorious melodic progression that comes straight out of mid 90's Disney soundtrack playbook (albeit with a lot more jazz elements at play). The best stuff was definitely saved for last though: 'Obsolete' is a cosmic sounding slow burner with a trip-hop twist and 'City Of Gods' is a 6+ minute freakout where they throw every sonic trick in their arsenal out in the open, culminating in some psychedelic guitar soling throughout the second half.

Happy However After endeared itself to me pretty early on but has only grown in esteem with repeated listens. Like a dessert with multiple layers, there's plenty to digest. And I'm always in the mood for seconds.

This reminds me of Stevie Wonder’s later stuff.

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote