Music Banter - View Single Post - Album Club 2019: Demdike Stare X Il Gruppo Improvvisazione... - The Feedback-Loop
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2019, 07:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zhanteimi
Mord

Due to the influence of the more experimental music I've been listening to lately, this is something I can get behind. I mean, after just listening to some mediocre German indietronica crap, this is amazing by comparison. At least something is happening here.

So what is happening here? Layers. A slow and careful crafting of ambient sonic layers that requires active engagement from the listener. The fact that the album is divided into only two sides is not a mistake or due to laziness on the part of the creators. No, they want engagement, not instant sound byte satisfaction for people who can't listen to more than three minutes of music at a time.

The sparse piano work of Side A is joined by haunting, echoing vocals on Side B, and this is underpinned by a sense of rhythm that is lacking on Side A. All in all, this album feels like they've come together to build a beacon, and once they get it up and running, they start broadcasting their signal.

7/10

LetsTalkMusic
Zhanteimi is offline   Reply With Quote