Music Banter - View Single Post - 3 peice outfit
Thread: 3 peice outfit
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2006, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Default 3 peice outfit

In most bands that exist today, save for the smaller genres, its usually composed of a guitar, a bass, and a drum kit. With millions people all trying to create new sounds with these three instruments, does any one think its time for a shake up in instrument selection?

For the purposes of this thread discuss any of the following:

1. Why the traditional three peice is fine and shouldn't be messed with
2. What they should replace the traditional three peice with
3. Why it has survived this long
4. Some bands that don't use this set-up that don't get recognized
5. Anything else you can think of (these were just start off ideas)

I'll start with my two cents here: I think for starters, the three peice is just familiar. You're given more of a chance and are taken more seriously than say an accordion, a banjo, and a triangle. Theres a certain amount of fear and a certain amount of respect that people are paying attention to.

Why I think it could and should be shaken up is that, prior to guitars, they were as tame and conservative as any other instrument. Through years of experimentation and guitarist ingenuity, they've become their own syphony on a strap. Why aren't we doing that for other instrument. Thats what im kicking this open with.*

*I realize that not all bands use the three peice setup, and that other people are creating crazy sounds with other instruments, but not at the rate with guitar.