Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you agree or disagree with the people that says 80s music is dated?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 09:55 PM   #26 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Nice try, but-

-comes across as dismissive. Who are you to decide what is "fresh" or not? It's a silly sentiment, and I went to the trouble of illustrating the reality of how people actually approach music who are younger than you and I. They don't make those kinds of distinctions. I talked to an intern's kid yesterday who is 14 and loves Whitney Houston and Gorguts. He wants to find out how to do that gated drumming thing "that Phil Collins does" because he loves that sound. Probably discovered that **** through Spotify.
Someone who's heard their ideas/been uninspired by their approach before. It's neat that you found someone with diverse taste but idk what that has to do with the topic at hand.

Quote:
A more interesting discussion would be why people who are a third my age feel nostalgic for Japanese ambient music from between 1980-89. Or perhaps why a weird flex in YouTube's algorithm catapulted an obscure japanese pop song from 1984 into millions of views, hundreds of covers, big thinkpiece responses from places like Vice, and unusually enthusiastic responses across every demographic known to man despite the fact it was a B-side footnote in it's own country of origin at the time it came out.
My guess would be because they like it.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote