Music Banter - View Single Post - Brexit? Yay or Nay.
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2019, 07:29 AM   #816 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Unfortunately, OH has a very strong argument: people voted Brexit so we should Brexit. It takes a bit more moral gymnastics to defend the position, " I didn't like the first result, so let's do it again."
None the less, a lot has changed in 3 years and that original result prob no longer reflects the will of the people. Does democracy mean that you are shackled to all past decisions, regardless? If Brexiteers take the moral high road and say the original referendum was democratic and showed the will of the people, why should they oppose a new referendum, which would just be a furthur, updated democratic check? Prob because they know that theirs is no longer the will of the people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Totally unfair to the Brexiteers

It splits their vote and it the third option contradicts an outcome they already won
^ Also a perfectly valid criticism of the 3-way referendum suggested by Fluff and others. It wouldn't take much juggling though, to tally up both the Brexit options on the ballot, and say that Remain only wins if it is greater than the No Deal votes plus the May's Deal votes put together. That would be fair, wouldn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Addict View Post
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584
Anyone who is a British Citizen or resident in the UK has the right to sign this petition to revoke Article 50 and Remain in the EU.

It's already gained the highest number of signatures for a UK Gov and Parliament petition
^ Thanks very much for the link, K-addict ! I dusted off my British citizenship and actually added my name to the petition, which now stands at 4, 981, 308. ( The total has been updated about five times just as I've been typing this post; those bots must be really busy!)