Music Banter - View Single Post - What if?
Thread: What if?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2006, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Merkaba
Whitewater!

No one likes Green Day because they're trying to do something they're not. Or at least they're trying to do it but they have no vindication. If the Ramones tried to do American Idiot, they would do it their way, and people would love it because it's the Ramones, it's what people come to expect from them. When Greenday did it, all I thought was man this is crap, it doesn't sound like Greenday. Probably didn't help when the DJ said it was the biggest song of the year eather.

Choosing a supercar, what do you pick: The purebred Ferarri or the no frills Mazda? Can Mazda even make supercars?

Point being, you recognise a band based on what it has done, what it is renowned for, what you can expect to gain from listening to them.

Greenday, by doing something new, took a risk. Frankly they ballsed up but if they continue with this new style I'm sure they can create a taste for it and maybe one day produce the next American Idiot, that everyone will like, based on what they've come to expect.