Music Banter - View Single Post - Worst band on earth?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2006, 02:03 AM   #512 (permalink)
Don
Account Disabled

Quote:
I am begining to suspect that you arent really a DT fan and that this is all just a big prank, well it was funny for a while, but you can stop now.
How witty of you.

Quote:
Oh god...They can do 3 different kinds of prog, thats versatility for ya.
Last time I checked, that's two more kinds of prog than Yes play.

Quote:
Tiresome instrumental wankfests, rehashed Genesis epics with all the life sucked out of them, whatever you want to call it.
Yeah, I forgot you needed to be old-school and predictable melodies to have life in your music. I tell ya what's good old school prog that does have life in it? “The Court of the Crimson King...” and there's a few Genesis and Floyd examples, but besides that, it'd be hard for me to think of any.

Quote:
Shut up, i could go on about how Yes have sold way more records and how they have had at least half a dozen radio hits, but i wont...They make better music, as in what the music sounds like, how the music is written, how the musicians play the music, they are just better in pretty much every way...Hell DT would probably even admit it themselves.
Once again you're arguing about taste, you sure know how to argue. You have already implied that “Yes have sold way more records,” subtly by constantly referring to their popularity and now you care about having radio hits? Your musical taste is starting to worry me more and more.

Quote:
Yes are good because they make good music (in my opinion, which i can say with much confidence, is more valid than yours)
Why is your opinion more valid than mine? That's the stupidest thing you've said thus far.

Quote:
but their edge in influence and acclaim certainly helps.
See? You can't deny that it looks as if you need your favourite bands to be influential and important. Certainly helps in what?? In your taste I believe, because it certainly doesn't help in showing that Yes make more enjoyable music than DT, and you've already admitted that yourself. lol you're just going around in circles.

Quote:
Whats up with this?...Why are you compareing Yes to The Beatles?
Because you compared prog to prog metal, why else?

Quote:
The simple fact of the matter is, without Yes there would be no Dream Theater
Then I guess another simple fact is that without The Beatles there would be no Yes...what's your point again?

Quote:
but you should still show them some respect, and you have done nothing but disrespect them through at least 10 pages with your ridiculous statements.

I don't get how my taste has anything to do with disrespecting them. Of course I respect them, but in a more plausible way, i.e I have bought all their albums and am not in denial about their importance to DT.

Quote:
Yes are better just because they are better.
Nice factual statement there, remind me to book you into my debate team.

Quote:
How in the hell do you measure emotion anyway?
It's a personal connection for everyone, so you can't tell me I'm wrong for saying that the pieces you find to be emotional are emotionless.

Quote:
Heh, that was pretty crappy.
God, fine you don't have to like it, but at least admit you were wrong in saying that Petrucci doesn't feel emotion with his music, it's not that ****ing hard to see it. You call my favourite ever guitar solo “pretty crappy,” and then you're the one ****ing complaining about me hating CttE and other Yes crap??? ****ing hell, you're one stubborn and moronic kid. You remind me of someone who once they believe something to be true, they won't let anyone in the world to tell them they're wrong, even if they present them with a factual document. Sorta like people thinking that Mercury is the hottest planet in our solar system of that Mt. Everest is the tallest mountain on Earth.

Quote:
Howe > Petrucci.
I thought long and hard about a rebuttal to this...and here it is:
Petrucci > Howe. Oh yeah, man I rule.

Quote:
I dislike Dream Theater primarly because of every member...They are all terribly boring in their own special way.
I don't see how a lay person would find Anderson (for argument sake) to be less boring than LaBrie. You've already admitted that Anderson isn't a great singer, so how bout you explain to me what's so good about his singing (or melodies) in “And You And I” (I think that was the example you gave).

Quote:
Oh first hes the most skilled drummer in hard rock and now hes not a good drummer? You win the John Kerry flip flop award of the day.
I never once said he's the “most skilled drummer in hard rock.” In fact a few posts ago, I said he wasn't so great. But incidentally he has won many best prog drummer of the year awards.

Quote:
Which Bruford also is.
But my point was that MP is more competent in theory.

Quote:
But theory dosent mean too much anyway, a lot of great musicians dont know theory.
Name one. If you don't know theory, you shouldn't even be classified as a musician.

Quote:
So you can prove that you are actualy what you say you are and not just some 10 year old retard with way too much free time on his hands?
If I was a ten year old, it'd be more embarrassing for you, 'cause that'd mean that a kiddy can write, spell and argue better than you.
And too much free time on my hands? Who's the one who has 2000+ posts on here, and apparently is a member of 20+ music forums??

Quote:
Yeah, coming from the Dream Theater fan who thinks he has the right to call other bands boring and emotionless.
Even if it was a fact that DT are boring and emotionless, I could have sworn Dream Theater weren't the only band I liked...