Music Banter - View Single Post - What if?
Thread: What if?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2006, 04:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowe
Music Addict

Someone in the other thread said it best "It has become trendy to bash on Green Day" It's the truth. Bashers don't think for themselves, they take recycled put downs from the lips of people and use it as if they came up with the thought independantly. They aren't allowed to form the opinion for themselves, or else it would ruin their "street-cred". Of course these people will deny this...

"Of course I can form my own thoughts! They are this and this and this!"

Recycled put downs.

The best example of this is 14 and 15 year olds saying that they aren't punk and they sold out. That's when you know it has become the trend - these people weren't walking or talking when Kerplunk! was released, yet they put this act like they've been following them from the beginning and watched them "Sell out".

I can understand if someone says they don't like the music. Not my kinda thing, not my taste, etc etc. I don't understand, and in fact think it's retarded when people put Green Day down for changing their musical style, and the content of their lyrics. You often hear, I like their old stuff... but not their new stuff.

Every band will get caught in this Catch 22. If they keep making the same sound of music people will call them a one trick pony. All their stuff sounds the same, etc. But if they change people will say they sold out. Doing it for the money. Sometimes this may be true. I don't think it is with Green Day. They aren't 17 anymore, they aren't going to sing about masturbation or getting high all day. They are 30 years old... a 30 year old caring about politics and singing about it? THAT IS UNHEARD OF. The new musical style? So the f*ck what? They are trying new things - experimenting with sounds from vaudeville and musical theater... creating a Rock Opera.

As for their style and the "Hot Topic" comment. Do you still wear the same stuff you did when you were 5 years old? No. Your style has changed. So has theirs.