Music Banter - View Single Post - Science!
Thread: Science!
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #406 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
Actually idc if i have free will because rather i do or dont has literally no effect on the way i can live my life. Its the same reason agnostic athiest is the most logical position unless you are taking a hard position against specific god claims.
Agnostic atheists are just atheists. They take an academic logical position but they still don't believe in god and live as if god doesn't exist the same as hardline atheists. It's basically logical aesthetics at that point that atheists on forums argue for the sake of brownie points. It's really not the same thing as a logical position on free will because free will is a concept that is central to human thought in a way that even god beliefs aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
You don't think that the way that brains function plays a role in determining whether or not any decision making is involved with our actions?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
There is only one corrext answer to the question do humans have free will?

I dont know.
I don't know is a half-measure. Whether or not we have free will impacts all of human existence, especially since humankind exists and thinks as if we do. For instance how much of the criminal justice system operates on the assumption of free will? All of it? Or at least as much of it as we can justify so that we can continue to give criminals the stink eye. What if humanity decided to set their emotions aside and accept that whatever might be falsifiable free will is easily the less likely assumption? An end to punishment as justice and an eye for an eye?

The assumption of free will has vast and unquantifiable implications for society and if there is a more logical default stance that probably actually reflects reality and we ignore it then we are ignoring what will probably actually have the most effective influence on society.

Of course none of this matters since we're probably just automatons with no worth but perhaps our existence as a species could be made less miserable if we came to a more reasonable and accurate assessment of the nature of consciousness.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote