Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Ornette Coleman Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostasi View Post
Yes, I'm just saying that just because people are rolled out as experts on jazz doesn't necessarily mean that they look at the whole picture.
^ Absolutely, rostasi. I wasn't taking issue with that idea at all - I was just filling in a bit of background about Benny Green's status, guessing that many MBers wouldn't have much clue.

I'm glad you have some kind words for George Melly. He was a colourful character that I grew to like, more for his books than his music:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Impossible. Part of unassailability is that it is a part of our shared humanity. You love his music. You’re just not in tune with that frequency of your delight. This is really one of the most loving things I can say to you. Listen again with 100% certainty that you love it. Let the genius of this man, who opened a door that allows a specific passage into free intellectual space for all humankind, to wash over you.
^ Well, this is touching concern for my wellbeing and development, OH ! In your honour I might give Ornette another go. I always imagine that he's best appreciated if you drink ten black coffees before listening, so I might try that approach.