Music Banter - View Single Post - If you could bring back one experience from your childhood...
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostasi View Post
There's a perfectly reasonable explanation of this time-dilation feeling having to do with prospective vs retrospective vantage points.
From a prospective point, time nearly always goes by quickly at all ages when you're doing fun or creative stuff.
It only appears that your younger self experienced "eternity" when you look at that time after decades gone by.
The more decades the slower it appears in retrospect because your brain is choosing from all of the earlier new
experiences it encoded in memory and not the familiar ones. As you get older, your brain is fed a smaller number
of new experiences into its memory and you end up re-living older, more novel experiences in the here-and-now
which give the impression that they lasted longer than they really did (or even than they appeared to when you
experienced them at the time). The only way around this dichotomy, is to accept that time has nearly always
appeared fast during the pleasant experiences, then and now, and that the comparisons are moot if you're
always learning and doing new, creative stuff in the here-and-now.
I don't know, years did legit feel like they passed a lot slower back in the day and I don't think it's just hindsight. Perhaps perception of time is affected by brain development or something.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote