Music Banter - View Single Post - Vio-lence's "Eternal Nightmare" has the best guitar in thrash metal. Fight me.
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 11:46 PM   #40 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Nope. Slayer and Vio-lence tbh have entirely different styles. Slayer brought metal guitar to the precipice of modernity, but only ever looked over the wall and showed us the way. They're amazing in their own way, but Vio-lence were on the other side of that wall where things like death metal, black metal, tech thrash, tech death, brutal death, etc would take metal guitar in a more cerebral direction where Slayer could not follow because that simply wasn't in their talent base.

I am not someone who claims that that wall is a dividing line of quality, but my point is that Vio-lence were in a place that Slayer could not have imitated, and in Vio-lence's case they delivered in a way that justified making that separation. Vio-lence's riffs are cerebral in a way that is entrancing, but they never cross that further threshold where the music loses immediate punch and becomes abstract, which is a place that is sadly rare since many bands do not have the imagination and talent to keep that balance. It's a place where None So Vile also resides and lo and behold I dick suck that album too.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote