Music Banter - View Single Post - 2018 Album Favorites: Anteater Reviews 'Em
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #97 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Honorable Mention #1: George Clanton - Slide

Genre(s): Alternative Rock, Shoegaze, Trip-Hop, Vaporwave

Sounds Like: My Bloody Valentine meets New Radicals with a big dose of A E S T H E T I C S

Going to do a few more posts going over a few gems that either went under my radar or were recommended to me after December and I just didn't get a chance to check it out.

George Clanton has been on the periphery of the whole "indie Bandcamp scene" for over a decade, refining his sense of popcraft whilst simultaneously going headfirst into the world of vaporwave under the name ESPRIT 空想. This 2018 outing, Slide, is the first "serious" record he's done under his own name and it's one hell of a doozy. It touches every nostalgic aspect of early to mid 90's experimental pop & rock whilst simultaneously basking in the chilly production styles of late 00's chillwave and vaporwave artists. The result is overpowering at times, danceable, and just compelling to anyone wanting to experience a different take on the familiar.

To that end, many of the things I found that I liked about this album were traits that I observed in Lead Me To The Glow by Shmu, though this record has none of the smooth jazz / yacht rock AOR nostalgia of that album. Listening to something like 'Livin' Loose', the opening song, reminded me of that euphoric rush I felt the first time I discovered Type O Negative. Disorienting in a sense, but the way it comes together into that first melody is aces.

So for those of you wanting to experience a pop-oriented record with a genuine sense of experimental novelty at play where you'd least expect it, I'd recommend digging into Slide.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote