Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 04:14 PM   #17874 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Show me where the constitution says the president can’t be arrested for breaking the law. A crime is a crime is a crime.
^ Probably not in the constitution, but there is a decision by the Office of Legal Council, whoever they may be, that says that a sitting President cannot be indicted.( I think the fear being, What would America do if the President were arrested the day that a nuclear war starts?) That legal decision is considered v difficult to overturn by Dems and Reps alike, and Special Counsellor Mueller took the position that if the Dept of Justice can't indict a sitting President, the same Dept can't accuse him either. Without trial, the Pres can't defend himself from the accusation, so it's legally unfair to accuse him in the first place. ( A legal nicety for Trump that Barr has done his best to avoid mentioning.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Clinton wasn't impeached nor arrested for lying under oath to Congress. Nixon wasn't arrested for actually firing his Special Counsel. Neither Obama nor Eric Holder were arrested for refusing subpoenas from Congress and "obstructing justice" during the Fast & Furious fiasco. So what makes anyone with a functioning brain think that bar is going to be lowered for Trump?
^ The way I see it, there are different scales of lying. "I like your new haircut" can be a lie, and so can "I shot that man in self defense," but there's a big difference in the gravity of what you're lying about.

My understanding is that Clinton lied a couple of times about having extramarital oral sex. Trump and associates have lied repeatedly about consorting with a hostile foreign power to influence election results. Barr has lied about clear evidence of up to ten occasions of obstruction of justice. I don't see it as a lowering of the bar to hold Trump, the AG and others responsible for undermining the democratic process, the power of Congress and the neutrality of the Dept of Justice. The only thing poor old Clinton undermined was his marriage, and that's why he wasn't impeached, imo.