Music Banter - View Single Post - Modern Rock In Just Nine Songs
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Default Modern Rock In Just Nine Songs

This thread is the result of a rather off-chance process. In his intro thread, new member Mo Bounce recently listed some of his favourite bands and when I mentioned that they were almost all new names to me, Occult Hawk rattled off one song per band by way of recommendation. I saw this as my chance to muscle in on some hip area of music that I don’t know about, so I’m now presenting the Mo/OH/Lisna resource: How to become a modern rock expert in just nine songs.

You too can be as hip as we are if you listen to or comment on the nine songs that I'll be rolling out in this thread over the coming days:

Song #1: Folk Implosion - Natural One (1995)

This one starts with an exquisite seven seconds of electronica before the drums kick in. It's got the smooth-but-sinister feel of a Doors song, so unless contradicted, I'm going to label this as retro-rock. It's pretty easy on the ear, but I didn't feel engaged enough to actually work out what the guy was singing about.

Can anyone say how typical this song is of Folk Implosion's style? Was this ever a big hit, or is it a little-known connoisseur's gem?