Music Banter - View Single Post - Modern Rock In Just Nine Songs
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 07:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ This is turning into a steep learning curve for me - all new material despite how highly OH is placing this album. I like the cover, album title and the Poledo song. It's usually a good sign imo when an artist discards conventional sound engineering wisdom and goes for some rough edges to the music. Nice.
__________________________________________________ ________________________

Despite the line, I'm not necessarily drawing a line under Lou Barlow, but to maintain momentum in this thread, here is:-

Song #2: Fugazi - Waiting Room (1988)

I love the bass guitar lead in and how you can hear that same riff throughout. The anguish/anger from the vocalist caught my attention immediately, as did the opening lines:-

"My time is like water down a drain" Brilliant! What a pity though, that the song comes to such an early and abrupt end.
Under three minutes. If that’s not enough listen to it again. The abrupt end was an extremely smart move.

You gotta respect Ian MacKaye and his stick to your guns DIY $5 tickets no giving in to ticket master punk ethics. I totally respect the whole straight edge thing too. By that time drugs had already caused us all so much pain. It’s still rampaging full speed ahead but even back then young creative talented energetic people were dropping like flies.

BUT going from Minor Threat to Fugazi is one of the greatest musical falls from grace ever. When I first heard Minor Threat it was so revolutionary. I was in high school and it was like so rock’n’roll can go there? Holy f uck!!!

This music was incredibly empowering, I mean it still is, it literally brings tears to my eyes. I know it gets old people bemoaning the past but my life was so hard back then. That sound said to me, told me there’s a ****ing place for you in this world. It was like being given a ****ing home.

By comparison Fugazi was mostly a bunch of frat rock bull****. It’s not like I felt betrayed or anything. It’s just Fugazi was bland.

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote