Music Banter - View Single Post - Modern Rock In Just Nine Songs
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 04:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

^ Thanks for fleshing out the Fugazi rec with a couple more songs, Mo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
You gotta respect Ian MacKaye and his stick to your guns DIY $5 tickets no giving in to ticket master punk ethics. I totally respect the whole straight edge thing too. By that time drugs had already caused us all so much pain. It’s still rampaging full speed ahead but even back then young creative talented energetic people were dropping like flies.
^ Yep, very commendable to limit concert prices. As for straight edge, perhaps it's a worthy reaction to lethal drug abuse, but it's developed a reputation for intolerance, hasn't it? Just what the world needs, another club that allows you to feel a self-righteous contempt for everyone else.

Quote:
BUT going from Minor Threat to Fugazi is one of the greatest musical falls from grace ever. When I first heard Minor Threat it was so revolutionary. I was in high school and it was like so rock’n’roll can go there? Holy f uck!!!

This music was incredibly empowering, I mean it still is, it literally brings tears to my eyes. I know it gets old people bemoaning the past but my life was so hard back then. That sound said to me, told me there’s a ****ing place for you in this world. It was like being given a ****ing home.

By comparison Fugazi was mostly a bunch of frat rock bull****. It’s not like I felt betrayed or anything. It’s just Fugazi was bland.
^ Thank you for this insight into the young OH!

I wouldn't ask anyone to believe it, in fact I hardly believe it myself, but I also had some years of undirected rage, listening to Beefheart at high volume and having a more emotional response to music than I do today. So even if I no longer feel the rage, I can respect the rage in those Minor Threat songs. The way the music stops for the F-word accusations in In My Eyes is particularly effective.