Music Banter - View Single Post - A Key to the Arcade on the corner
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #99 (permalink)
Key

Haven't really been playing a lot of games as of recently. But I did have a recent run of Dead Cells that i'd like to talk about.

If you aren't already aware (which you should be, I talk about it enough), Dead Cells is one of my favorite games of all time and quite possibly my favorite roguelike to come out in recent years. I've been playing the game since it came out in Early Access so I do have quite a bit of experience with the game on both PC and PS4. Lately, I've been playing on PS4 because it's simply more comfortable. Sitting at a computer chair for too long gets a bit uncomfortable but it's okay.

On a typical Dead Cells run, I'll either always make it to the 2nd boss fight and die, or I'll skip the 2nd boss fight and go right to the Clock Tower floor which is one of the harder floors in the game. It's also one of the later floors for that exact reason.

It is fun to get to this point in the game because then you really start being put to the test, and you see how your build has held up throughout. Which of course you can change at any time depending on what drops you get.

I went in this time though with a familiar yet not frequent enough build. A bow in my primary weapon slot, and the freeze spell in my secondary weapon slot. I also got very lucky to get two of the same color weapons because it makes getting upgrades for them a lot easier as I only have to choose one upgrade, instead of two. The upgrades are based on color so whichever one you choose, you can an additional bonus to your weapons as well as your HP. It's awesome. Long story short, I basically steam rolled one of the harder levels of the game. Got to the boss of this floor which I have only gotten to one time before this. And I beat him. First time I've ever beat the Clock Tower boss. And it was a huge thanks to this build that kept improving more and more over time. RNG was on my side, I have to say.

So moving on from the Clock Tower, as evident from what I said before, the game kicks up the difficulty.

You eventually find the entrance to the next floor which is High Peak Castle. Now, last time I came to this floor, I literally died within the first few minutes. Once again, this build this time is proving to be extraordinarily useful because again, I'm basically steam rolling this floor now. I'm again starting to see how powerful this build is, and it really gives me a prime example of why I think the bow is a solid main hand weapon. A lot of people use it as a secondary with a melee weapon in the first slot. I think that has to do with the restricted ammo on the bow, but it's still fantastic if you get a strong enough one.

So yeah, I'm basically going through High Peak Castle, though not entirely unscathed. Yeah my build is pretty good at this point but the enemies are pretty tough because they all have potential ranged attacks and you can be hit through the walls on this one so it can be tough. I kept going through every hallway because if this was going to be the opportunity for me to actually experience this floor in its entirety, I'm going to do it. And boy it was a great floor. A really nice test to see how well I can do. And yeah, I made it to the end of this floor, having used all my health potions, or I was at the very least down to my last one. Then came the next floor and I was completely unfamiliar with any of this at this point because I've never even seen the entrance to this place. And it's simply titled "The Throne Room".

Now this was genuinely a nice treat because I had never even seen this place before, and I was pretty excited to see that it was another boss fight in the game. I know they had been updating this game for a while, and I remember when they first implemented the Clock Tower and that boss, but to eventually get it to this point, it's pretty amazing. And yes, I unfortunately did end up dying at this point because this boss is really tough. A lot of really strong attacks and he has a Scorpion style claw that he pulls you into him and he just starts destroying you. You have a chance to dodge it but you really gotta time it right. I had gotten him down to about half HP, but when you get the boss down to that level, he goes into his second phase which is usually a lot more difficult than the first. You really have to get your timing down perfect because he not only speeds up, but his attacks are plenty. Things coming from left and right, summoning other enemies. It gets crazy. But it was genuinely a fun boss fight, although I did die. Seems like one I can eventually beat, but I have to have the exact right build for it.

So yeah, the run took about an hour and a half, and I could have not assumed from the first floor that the run would turn out this way because I got a pretty ****ty start. But I pressed on and eventually got strong enough to get to the potentially final boss of the game. But, more runs to go of course and eventually I'll beat him. This is why I love Dead Cells.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote