Music Banter - View Single Post - Modern Rock In Just Nine Songs
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Bounce View Post
I like him so much that every Dischord Records record I've got (except for 13 Songs) I bought directly from their website.

And what's even cooler about it is that every record was packaged together with a hand note by Amy Farina thanking for buying it. I wouldn't trade that for a meeting and a photo with Billy Corgan or Mark Lanegan (just to cite two alternative rock stars I like)
^ Is that the same Amy who is the wife of Ian McKay? That's cool.

( Yeah, I really know nothing about straight edge, and of course attempts to reduce the misery of addiction have gotta be good)
__________________________________________________ _______________
Perhaps it's now time to move on to:-

Song #3: Pixies - Monkey Gone to Heaven (1989)

Thanks to the enthusiasm of Black Francis, I'd at least heard of The Pixies before, though this song didn't sound much like the material I remember him recommending. TBH I found this song a bit disappointing: a vocalist who's spent too long studying in the Lou Reed School of Cool, and although there is some biting guitar work going on, pretty soon the song just repeats, repeats and stops without having gone anywhere. It sounds to me like, just 4 mins in, The Pixies have completely run out of ideas and direction - and yet this was apparently a college radio hit, so perhaps it grows on you after a few listens.

(MB user name Black Francis comes from The Pixies band member. Duh.)