Music Banter - View Single Post - Modern Rock In Just Nine Songs
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 06:19 AM   #74 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

^ Well, that's pretty unconventional, and for me at least, playing it once or twice may prove sufficient. Listening to it I found myself becoming concerned about Thurston Moore's vocal chords, even though I know they are not remotely my business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
I think that album A Thousand Leaves would suit you well on the whole. It's among their spaciest offerings.

My top favorite is Murray Street though, which is definitely another good choice for that kind of stuff, although not as drawn out and krauty as a Thousand Leaves. Still has a good bit of low key acid numbers.
^ "krauty"

After four pages about Sonic Youth and one last thanks to Mondo and OH, perhaps it's time to bid them a reluctant farewell and move on to:-

Song #7 : Galaxie 500 - 4th of July (1990)

^ This starts well and has some nice guitar playing, but mainly at the end of the song, where it fades out just as it gets interesting. I quite liked the poppy background vocals, not so much the lyrics though; what is it about some rhymes that are too close for their own good? Smile-Style and Sleep-Peep sound kind of clumsy to me. It's as if the writer pounces on a rhyme then works out a line with a meaning that more or less fits in. With good lyrics, it feels like the other way round: the rhyme occurs by happy coincidence as the writer works out his meaning. Does anyone else ever notice a distinction like that between lyrics?

It probably suffers from following on from Sonic Youth, but overall I found this to be a pleasant but undistinguished record, even though, reffing an earlier G500 album, “Sonic Youth frontman Thurston Moore has cited Galaxie 500's album Today as "the guitar record of 1988". Perhaps Galaxie 500 have some better material elsewhere in their short discography.