Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 05:37 AM   #62483 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post
My apologies; I omitted the boring details:

I originally went to a mom and pop garage which after $500 I learned not to do with a Subaru. They gave me the entirely wrong diagnosis.

Back to the dealer I found I had to replace the following:
  • A dead battery
  • Both head gaskets were bad
  • Both valve cover gaskets
  • Spark plugs tubes (oil seals)
  • Spark plugs
  • Exhaust gaskets
  • Timing belt
  • A cracked radiator
  • And the radiator hose
It's an eleven year old car with 98,000 miles on it. It just wasn't worth scrapping it and getting into a lease. I'm driving without collision or comprehensive and a lease would have tripled my insurance rate so that's out of the question.

Hopefully the leak is fixed at this point. We won't know until all the leaked oil has burned off the engine.
All those repairs don’t sit right with me. I’m hesitant to say it because obviously I don’t know. At around 100,000 you let some **** go. Cracked radiator? Show me. How cracked? Is this a problem now or a potential problem? How far off. Let me get a picture of it to show my uncle in Virginia.

The last part about “hopefully” sounds pretty passive on your part. You just spent $3500. It better be ****ing fixed.

My old beater leaks oil. I just check it almost every time I drive. That ain’t no solution, I know but I have a good relationship with a local shop and they even said it wasn’t worth it. Right now I couldn’t get 3 grand to save my life.

The good thing about the dealer is the will usually get you squared away but if you find a good local shop they’ll hopefully show your wallet some discretion as well.

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote