Music Banter - View Single Post - What's a song that speaks to your soul?
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2019, 06:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeruTeruBozuBoy View Post
That song definitely does it... Alison is one I can only turn on sometimes, because it instantly shifts me into this blissful state of hyper focused transcendence. I had it on repeat one night after drinking an entire pot of coffee whilst leading a blinding horde of calvary into a bloodbath in a super intense game and it felt like my entire room was on fire with laughing gas, god particles and god damn space juice. Good times? Maybe. Probably.
^ That sums up your night so well that I'm going to check out this Alison song. Welcome to MB, TTBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieMarie View Post
The ones that come to mind first:
The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever
The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset, Kentucky Moon
David Bowie - Fill Your Heart
Sleater-Kinney - Stay Where You Are
Eels - Going to your Funeral Part II
Kate Bush - Sat In Your Lap
Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold As Love, The Wind Cries Mary
Patti Smith - My Generation
Edit - important omission:
Boards Of Canada - Roygbiv
^ Yep, loved Waterloo Sunset and rushed out to buy the single as a kid. It helps that I know the place, and later learned that Ray Davies was thinking of a childhood stay in a London hospital when he wrote it. He really nails that odd blend of resignation, melancholy and optimism that goes with convalescence imo.
__________________________________________________ ________________________

This opening track really sets the mood for the songs that follow, and in my case takes me straight back to when I was 18 years old, the people I hung out with and the many new things that we were doing for the first time:-