Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds from Innerspace
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #734 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Default Hearts of Space No. 1: First Flight (1983) Limited Edition 2LP

I've been an avid fan of the Hearts of Space radio program for many years. The show's producer and presenter, Stephen Hill has been showcasing the finest in ambient, space, and contemplative music for over thirty five years.

Their label has issued almost 150 albums and in 2001 they launched an online streaming service where members have access to the complete broadcast history of the program, complete with playlists and the ability to enable or disable the narration segments.

As of the date of publication of this article, I maintain a complete archive of all HOS program broadcasts from their premiere on January 1st, 1983 to program 1,219 which aired on June 28, 2019. I also have the official HOS poster framed in my office.

You can imagine my delight at discovering that in 2018, Valley Entertainment, (the company that bought Hearts of Space Records in 2001), issued a limited edition double LP of the music from the first-ever syndicated broadcast of the show.

Originally issued on compact disc in 2008 under cat # 2-HOS-11500, this special vinyl edition was released Sept 21, 2018 in honor of the 35th anniversary of the program.

From the official release page:

Quote:
Best of Hearts of Space,No.1: First Flight appears on vinyl as Hearts of Space celebrates the 35th anniversary of the airing of this - its first ever show. This double-LP pressing is a limited edition of only 500 pieces and features the music of original broadcast including Academy Award winner Vangelis with Irene Papas and Grammy Award winners Kitaro and David Darling. Other artists include Russian composer Thomas De Hartmann, instrumentalist Deuter, and pioneering ambient musician Michael Stearns.

“You have in your hand something of a classic. This was the kickoff program of the nationally syndicated Hearts of Space Public Radio show in January 1983. It's perhaps the best example of the creative mix of contemplative jazz, classical, electronic, world and new age music that remains the central innovation of the program. Far from the chaos of digital music today where everything is accessible but uncurated, First Flight is an enduring, transcendent experience.”

- Stephen Hill, Producer – Hearts of Space

______

After ten years as a local Bay Area program Hearts of Space emerged in January 1983 with syndication to 35 non-commercial radio stations. The program is now syndicated on over 200 NPR stations and boasts the second largest footprint of any current show on NPR. From the beginning, the program's success has come from consistently high production quality and sensitive, knowledgeable music programming. The program has defined its own niche -- a mix of ambient, electronic, world, new age, classical and experimental music. Artists and record companies around the world recognize Hearts of Space as the original, most widely heard, premiere showcase for "contemplative music, broadly defined." The Best of Hearts of Space: First Flight is the first show aired from January 1, 1983. The show features what are now premier names in the format including Academy Award® winner Vangelis with Irene Papas, Grammy® Award winner Kitaro and Grammy® nominated David Darling. Other artists include Russian composer Thomas De Hartmann, instrumentalist Deuter, and pioneering ambient musician Michael Stearns.

This limited edition double LP is catalog no. 1-HOS-11500 and is another proud addition to my archive.

"Safe journeys, space fans, wherever you are."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote