Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #18232 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Is anyone else following, with dwindling amusement and rising disgust, the tale of the UK ambassador to Washington and his leaked verdict on the Trump admin?

Brit PM Theresa May, and Jeremy Hunt (a candidate to replace May), both stood up for the ambassador, saying that he was only doing his job in reporting his honest assessment of the White House. Worryingly for Britain, the most probable incoming Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, hasn't defended the ambassador, demonstrating that he would rather be Trump's pet poodle than defend Britain's career diplomats.

Trump has refused to work with the ambassador and now the poor guy has had to resign. At another time, I bet the worst disciplinary action would've been to post the guy somewhere else to keep him out of Trump's way. As it is, his resignation sends an uncomfortable message to any other diplomats stationed in Washington: telling the truth about the White House could cost you your job.

And finally, as one news outlet points out, Trump's refusal to cooperate professionally with the ambassador is in strange contrast to Trump's treatment of KimJungUn: after KJU publicly declared that Trump was "a mentally deranged dotard", Trump was boasting like a besotted teenager that he and KJU had fallen in love. Can't DT find any love in his heart for a Brit diplomat as well?