Music Banter - View Single Post - Let's Build Loren (the albums that have shaped my life)
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 03:26 AM   #178 (permalink)
Mondo Bungle
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene

https://pygmylush.bandcamp.com/album/bitter-river

Pygmy Lush - Bitter River, 2007

Pygmy Lush hold a special place in my heart, just like literally every single other artist in this journal. A band sculpted from the remnants of screamo godfathers pg.99 (who'd given the world unsanctioned chaos in the most **** you sort pf way), they offer a lush feast of slow folk with the requisite sadness of groups like Red House Painters. Bitter River here isn't my favorite, in fact it's their weakest offering, but it's a transitional album, with the acoustic style quite sparse and independent and simplistic, and intertwined with loud noise rock tracks akin to a more emotive Jesus Lizard. They don't trade off very well in all honesty, and the album suffers slightly from inconsistency, but I'm not gonna sit here and tell you it's not great.

Mount Hope, 2008

But now we have the true lush, strictly folk oriented and positively (negatively?) somber. There wasn't so much to the clean portion of Bitter River, but Mount Hope is folk finally realized. Downtempo and nostalgic for things that never were, never will be.

https://pygmylush.bandcamp.com/album...lp-w-turboslut

Split w/ Turboslut, 2009

So the post-skramz freckled throughout Bitter River wasn't completely abandoned when we look through their whole discography. The Pygmy Lush side of this split alternates between raucous takes much superior in their own right to the early stuff, and a still evolving malady of stark folk music, and it's all some of their greatest material.

The split is home to the definitive number one PL track right here. Haunting, gorgeous, dreamy, smooth, hopeful, hopeless, hopelessly hopeful, fullyhope lesshope, and now there's no more pages left in the thesaurus. I chose this song as my spirit guide in the midst of a DMT trip and I simply can't imagine life without it

Turboslut is cool too, like neo-grunge

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote