Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 07:22 PM   #18343 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug McClasky View Post
Sure but that doesn't mean that a fundamental change in how we live, how we think, and how we interact hasn't occurred that makes comparisons to older times at best problematic and at most completely useless. Hunting mammoths literally isn't the same as working a desk job or laying asphalt.
my point was simply that labor isn't some unnatural invention of capitalism. It's been baked into our existence from the start. It's just in our society it's more indirect in terms of how it relates to the resources we procur. But the bottom line is you don't get something for nothing. Your existence has a material cost. You're responsible for paying it.

Quote:
Modern society has fundamentally changed the idea of a hunter gatherer model...
don't quite understand this statement

Quote:
I prefer this society because I have been trained for nothing else than living in it. If you chucked me into a Viking war band I wouldn't be opposed simply because of modern Liberal values conflicting with Viking values, I'd be opposed cause HOLY ****ING **** I WAS NOT TRAINED TO LIVE THIS LIFE GET ME OFF THIS BOAT!!!
The hunter gatherer bit was tongue in cheek.

You weren't born trained to work at Burger King. And working on an agrarian farm in a commune would certainly involve a learning curve. But you could manage it, if you were so
inclined.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote