Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 04:37 PM   #18519 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
What would you consider to be good reasoning for treating policemen differently from regular civilians?
Are you asking me that question, Frownland? I'm puzzled because I'm suggesting they should be treated similarly to other regular professions.

Quote:
Many Americans despise police officers because a lot of laws that they're enforcing are unethical, plus it's far from uncommon for police stations and academies to train officers to enforce the law unequally.
^ Bold bit #1: strictly speaking, the police shouldn't be blamed for unethical laws as they are not the ones writing the laws. They can be blamed though, for over-zealous application of unethical laws, and of that, I'm sure they are frequently guilty.

Bold bit #2: I suspect that official training is to enforce laws equally. What happens in the informal work culture of a local police station may be very different of course. Probably lots of racism and corruption if American cop dramas on tv are any guide.