Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 02:11 AM   #12173 (permalink)
Lucem Ferre
Cuter Than Post Malone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug McClasky View Post
I think looking at it in terms of Marxist rhetoric is kind of overblown tbh. Maybe ICP are more aware of Marxism than I know but everything I've seen from them shows that they simply express the views of the working class more starkly and accurately than most any other working class artist I can think of. They're honestly the working class as I've known them writ large and the disdain people have for them is the disdain for the working class that liberals honestly feel but targeted at a group that is safe to mock.
No, they're ****ing idiots. But the whole concept of the album is like a surface level Marxist fantasy. They started painting their faces and embracing this clown gimmick because they felt that the whole world was laughing at them for being lower class. Like they were clowns, the butt of everybody's joke, and that the ghetto was their carnival. The whole album is about taking the ghetto, or the carnival, into rich neighborhoods to give them a taste of the crime and violence that they feel is caused and exploited by the same rich people that are laughing at them. Honestly, the concept is much much more interesting than the actual album though.

I think their culture and numetal speaks to an existential angst that working class people with no direction feel and don't fully understand that people outside of it just don't get. I get the joke is because gimmicks and style and dumbed down lyrics that are taken way too seriously comes off as just pure cringe to others, but sometimes the mockery just comes off a bit more like classism.
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.

Last edited by Lucem Ferre; 07-31-2019 at 02:20 AM.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote