Music Banter - View Single Post - The Environmental Watchdog MasterThread
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #455 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I understand that sentiment. There’s a lot of beauty in climate change. Florida going underwater will be aesthetically a profound improvement for Mother Earth. It’s important to keep in mind that nature is still beautiful even when she’s killing you and from an objective standpoint the process of dying is a very beautiful process. In fact, life can be defined as only the process of dying.
^ Sometimes I'm super-impressed by your posts, OH. This is one such time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
there's been so many global deals. They don't work. Energy is so vital to every economy that those deals are nothing more than virtue signalling.
^ Actually they can work. Did anyone look at the history of the Ozone Hole I posted a few pages back ? Approx 5 years after the prob was identified, there was a global "Montreal" Treaty in 1987. By the year 2000 the ozone hole was reduced to a pre '87 size, and by 2050, it should've gone completely.

The message is: environmental repair takes international cooperation and many decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I think it's one of several possible solutions that should be explored
we almost should be trying everything at this point
^ Yep, the environmental damage is coming from multiple sources, we're gonna need multi-pronged solutions. Sustainable technical solutions, tax (dis)incentives and less straws too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
Id like to be wrong, but I don't think there is a solution with with The GOP
they want to go down with the ship, they're saying it's not happening
^ Absolutely. They are not just in denial, being in lockstep with a president who can't distinguish weather from climate, they are trying to shoot the messenger. Remember how the EPA, I think, took down bad stats from their website and banned the use of certain phrases like "global warming" ? I don't remember the details, but they are now needlessly relocating some huge government research centre by about 1000 miles, with the sole intention of shedding most of their qualified scientists, who won't want to relocate. This scandal should really be getting the press coverage that is going to Trump's last tweet.

Quote:
the store patting themselves on the back for inconveniencing you and saving money under the wildly false pretense of reducing waste is complete bull****
^ Well, every reduction is a reduction, even if it's only a small %age of the prob. But, yes, there's a danger of us over-congratulating ourselves, both shop and consumer thinking they've saved the planet by not using carrier bags.

Quote:
When I was prepping fish the fish came in sets of cases sealed in plastic. The plastic was removed and thrown out. Then inside the cases the fish were inside another sealed bag of plastic. Inside that bag the fish pieces were sealed again in airtight plastic. I opened maybe a thousand of those packages daily and cut the fish again weighed the portions and put the portions in plastic bags before putting them in pans.

In our dining area there was a sign that said “Save Our Beaches! No Straws unless requested” (or something like that)

I actually called the Sierra Club and other environmental groups and asked them if they had any advice for me on how to approach our management on how to reduce our plastics waste. They had nothing for me. I was told I would be contacted and I never was.
^ Good for you for trying. This is a sad clue to the amount of effort required to effect any kind of change.