Music Banter - View Single Post - Wolf’s ARC Pick: Whack World by Tierra Whack
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 07:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Knowing that this is more of an experiment / project I'm forced into a different perspective.

My first impression is that it sounds like a collection of demos. I get that they're essentially finished pieces and fit into a whole but at the same time a lot of these sound like summaries rather than whole ideas. It's like perpetual first paragraphs without a follow-up, rather than shifting into the next gear it jumps to the next track. All first verse, no chorus.

Maybe I'm too old and I just don't get the reflection of modern youth. It happened to me, it'll happen to you too. Someday.

Big picture though it reminds me of Imani Coppola's first release back in the late 90s (Chupacabra) - another project album. Not so much stylistically but in the approach of incorporating a wider variety of styles and the occasional absurd vocals. Especially as this album progresses and TW starts getting weirder / twangier.

It's certainly not bad, but now that it's done I'm left to wonder what I just listened to. Maybe I should have watched along instead of just writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote