Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Tool Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #696 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

Jones' percussive guitar approach is pretty neat, being not quite djent but still filling those DB levels and all, but they're a bit of a one trick pony with their tension building.

I still tell this story to the youngsters:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
I've seen them twice. Each time was incredible. Once at Ozzfest '98, and another time when they were headliners, and Mastadon(? I think) opened.

Ozzfest '98 was pretty killer in itself, but Tool really stood out. They carried what looked like a blue plastic statue of Maynard out and it stood in the middle of the stage while the roadies did their thing, then the lights came down and a spotlight hit the plastic statue as Maynard came to life! He stood their motionless for about a half hour and it freaked the **** out of me. The music just pulsed and I was taken away on their journey. Incredible musicians.

At their headlining show, most of what I remember was three naked people hanging upside down from the rafters above the stage and writhing to the music for most of the night. I was like "Man, that would hurt!". But yeah, Tool was real tight. The opening act... not so much.

I think I saw them at Ozzfest '99 too, but that whole concert is pretty much a blur.
The Old Joliet Prison people would love to have them throw a concert together there, but I doubt that'll ever happen. We'll see.