Music Banter - View Single Post - Marie’s ARC Pick: Sleater-Kinney: The Centre Won’t Hold
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Marie Monday
the bantering battleaxe

Ok, here we go. My first impression:
It all starts out quite strong and ominous. They’re good at making strong, bold opening statements. Hurry On Home is a nice follow up: and infusion of energy after the gloomy bombast of the first song. Carrie is at her best here: the song makes good use of both the goofiness and odd, sensual fullness of her voice. It is already clear here that SK is moving further towards pop, which lies at the core of what I think of the album. Sleater-Kinney has always been an acquired taste to average ears; with this album they might be trying to make their sound more immediately accessible. That’s fine in itself, but my worry is that by doing that in this particular way, they discard much of what makes them unique and interesting, especially the layered and intertwined guitars and singing (although the intertwined lyrics have been given up since the Woods), and the dynamic energy of Janet’s drumming. There’s still plenty of things that I like about the album though, for instance the unsubtle, dynamic opening of Bad Dance (the rest of the song does not live up to it, however), and Can I Go On is a good example of the poppy sound working for them. It’s clear, straightforward and catchy. I expected some politics, because it’s Sleater-Kinney, and indeed I suspect that RUINS is political. I’m prejudiced against political songs, but this one is not too bland or preachy, and I quite like the bombastic quivering chords.
In conclusion, they mostly still have their force and inventiveness, luckily. And if they choose to make simpler, more accessible music, they can make some damn fine pop. However, it causes them often to lose their special spark. Quite a good album, but not on par with their previous work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You sound like Buffy after they dragged her back from Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I want to open a school for MB's lost boys and teach them basic coping skills and build up their self esteem and strengthen their emotional intelligence and teach them about vegetables and institutionalized racism and sexism and then they'll all build a bronze statue of me in my honor and my bronzed titties will forever be groped by the grubby paws of you ****ing whiny pathetic white boys.
Marie Monday is offline   Reply With Quote