Music Banter - View Single Post - Marie’s ARC Pick: Sleater-Kinney: The Centre Won’t Hold
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

Yesterday I listened to several 2019 releases and if there wasn’t so much interesting stuff going on I wouldn’t be so ambivalent about this. Name recognition alone isn’t enough to elbow into my heart. They’re old now and they sound it. In general, the best of the Olympian scene was released on K.

I have some experience with Evergreen College and Olympia. I saw a lot of those bands live and drove up or down from either Portland or Seattle to check out the scene. Back then, all you had to do was walk around a college town and you’d be invited for a beer a bong hit a party. I did that in Boulder, Athens, Auburn and tried it more than once at Evergreen in Olympia. Back then everyone in Evergreen had the same dark green jacket and backpack. Simply not wearing the goddamn uniform kept you away from the kegs. The riotgrrrl scene was exclusionary like a high school clique. They weren’t even middle class. They were all from rich families and raised in very strict academic environments. They were really the feminist version of Brett Kavanaugh style top shelf school elitism and their exclusionary rich white makes right was cut from the same cloth. These were the types who turned their noses up at the people who washed their dishes and cleaned their toilets and they were so self-absorbed in their imaginary oppression that they didn’t even know what they were doing.

Except for Lois.

And notice Lois never really identified with their bs

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote