Music Banter - View Single Post - Is There a Ramones of Metal?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2019, 04:34 AM   #88 (permalink)
Farewell
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Bounce View Post
First thing I thought as soon as I saw the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IouixybLYVo

To further expound on Bat's criteria, for me anyway, Motorhead was a classic example of just a raw rock 'n roll sound. Were they the first of their kind? No, but neither were The Ramones. Yet both bands had that sound where people would say, "oh yeah, that's Motorhead... that's The Ramones".

I recall the week Lemmy died and reading a lot of internet eulogies from his peers through various social media outlets and a couple of different quotes from Jeff Ament and Lars Ulrich saying that Motorhead was a band that both Punk rockers and Metal heads could agree with each other about. That feud was real back in the day. Like the story behind the Black Sabbath song "Fairies Wear Boots" being about a fight between members of Sabbath and some Punk fans. But I digress.

Point is, Motorhead exemplified what I think Bat is trying to point out about The Ramones in his opening post, in my opinion, even if Lemmy didn't consider his own band to be Metal. They still carved their place among the masses that bridged a gap between Punk and Metal with a sound that was their own.
Farewell is offline   Reply With Quote