Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 01:27 PM   #64319 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Elph laughed at the suggestion to network if you want a better job, but it really is the best way to go.
I agree but I don't think that FB and LinkedIn are as good for networking as you're portraying them to be. Explicit networking events and even chatting up people at bars n **** are waaaaaaay more likely to be fruitful. Also, and I know you'll hate me saying this, but I've gotten the same advice from a lot of privileged white folk. When I ask them for examples of how they used networking, 99 times out of 100 they were connecting to friends of their wealthy family or even having the family do the networking on their part. The advice you're putting forward is really as naive as the self-fulfilling prophecy of just giving up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
That's why helps to know what you are actually searching for and what you are qualified for in regards to a position. Or at least what you are open to doing.

If someone was trying to get in with a company early and they had Business Administration experience or something similar, I'd tell them to check out groups like the New York Startup Community or Dallas / Fort Worth Startup Community and keep track of what gets posted there, because a lot of decision makers for smaller, fast growing businesses will post jobs directly in those groups and not even go to a job board. And those groups aren't overloaded by spam since they are typically Closed groups.
Have you actually had success from it though?

The spam is still present in closed groups especially since FB stopped providing support to groups last year. Maybe this was valuable advice 5 years ago, but it doesn't appear to be very relevant now.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote