Music Banter - View Single Post - Enlighten me on the world of ska
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2004, 11:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
All_Nite_Dinah
Not Impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke2joints
well best way to hear music is to download it...get limewire coz its quickest n is easy to use.

in terms of ska, depends wot u want really...the best way to get into ska is to listen to the new stuff...
the best in my opinion are:
SUBLIME (although they are reggae not ska but they're amazing in every sense of the word) - the classic songs r "santeria", "smoke 2 joints", "40 oz to freedom" and "what i got" i guess.
catch 22 - "keasby nights" is a catchy song (haha wot a pun)
streetlight manifesto - well my fav off that album is "here's to life" although the whole album is absolutely spectacular
rx bandits - yyyeeeyyy am off to see them in 15 days err listen to "lost", "Secret agent man (SAM)" or "progress" coz they're all great songs
Mad Caddies another great ska band...ummm "shut the door" is a good song, so is anything by them really just download wot u want
less than jake always good but uv probs heard loads by them anyway

lol hope that gives u some ideas

1st Sublime is not reggae, and barley contend as ska in alot of there songs.
2nd None of those other bands are ska either. They do not have any charecterisitcs remotley close to ska. Im not saying there band or anything. I rather enjoy most of them, but they belong in the punk forum not this one.

Anyway some stuff to listen to to get into ska I would pick

the skatalites
Desmond Dekker
Jakie Opel
hepcat
The Alpha Boys
Alton Ellis
The Toasters
The Slakers

Or you can go here http://www.ebreggae.com/Home.asp and pick up a trojan boxed set. These are garentted to give you lots of bang for your buck. Just simply pick the genre of intrest and purchase. They range from 3 cd's to 30 and from $17 to $120. Deffinetly a good place to start your ska education. There are also lots of informative websites. i can tell you more but i dont feel like typing now. But good luck and welcome to the world of ska. If you have any questions just write me and Ill do myt best to help.
All_Nite_Dinah is offline   Reply With Quote