Music Banter - View Single Post - UK Politics
Thread: UK Politics
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 01:54 AM   #368 (permalink)
K Addict
Send Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ Unless things have changed since my day, I'm embarrassed to say that a lot of school-children in England don't make much distinction either. In fairness, it can be confusing, what with the English language, the UK, Great Britain and the British Isles.

^ Although the Brexit deadline gets ever closer, I see some hopeful signs that No Deal will be avoided. There's a bill prohibiting No Deal, there are politicians abandoning Boris Johnson and trying to get his prorogation declared illegal. Today the Lib Dem party has finally commited to a Remain position too.

Boris Johnson has also undercut one of his own arguments. He was proudly championing the people, claiming to honour their democratic choice in the Referendum, but by closing Parliament for a month to freeze out any discussion, his credentials of defending democracy now look pretty weak.

One thing I keep expecting to hear from the Remainers is that someone hits on my own analogy for the whole "We must respect the referendum" argument. It goes like this: Saying you wanted Brexit in the referendum was like going into a shoeshop and saying you want a pair of shoes. When that happens, if all the shoes turn out to be too expensive, you can walk out without buying anything. With Brexit, though, Boris Johnson is blocking the door of the shop, saying "Three years ago you said you wanted some shoes so now you have to buy some regardless of how much they cost." IMO, that's not democracy, that's unfair trading practices.

I think not enough emphasis has been put on how the referendum result was corruptly won because vote Leave was fined £61,000 for breaking electoral law.
If the result had been legally binding it would have been declared null and void. However, the referendum was only advisory so the courts could not overturn it. This contrasts with the Alternative Vote referendum in 2011 which was legally binding.