Music Banter - View Single Post - chavs.
Thread: chavs.
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2006, 08:47 AM   #27 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss
are you sure about the ethnicity issue? somehow it seems to me that chavs are considered scum because they picked up certain behaviour from other ethnicities ( for example, it's quite common for black people in america to have a child at a young age isn't it? nothing abnormal about it, but when white people do it, they're white trash...as i figure *has no idea what he's talking about* )...also, as far as clothing is concerned, i figure there's nothing unusual for other ethinicites to wear sportsware and dress up like afro-americans, but when white people do it it's just wrong, and even though it's not the same as with afro-americans, it's pretty similar from the photos i saw of chavs ( baseball hats, golden chains arround necks, oversized sport jerseys etc. )...i dunno...
Those are some really interesting points there, although it doesn't change the classifications which these people fall into (its more of an art than a science, recognising chavs and non-chavs). It is true that black and asian people can be chavs (although the majority of chavs are white) and I think the idea that people are 'dressing up like afro-americans' - that makes it sound like a fancy dress party! - is debatable, as you could probably use the same argument to say that a black person who wears jeans is 'dressing up like a white guy'.

It seems strange to me that poor white people, in an affluent country, would be labelled with the 'trash' moniker so regularly, when poor black or asian people in the same situation wouldn't. It may be because the word 'trash' is an offensive way to describe a person, so poor white people, still being part of a white majority (in ethnic terms) are seen to be in a better position to take the insult, whereas using it to describe poor black people or asians, who are both poor AND an ethnic minority would be too obviously callous.

And, well, it seems a lot of people do just love hurling insults at people they don't know!
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote