Music Banter - View Single Post - Whaddya want?!
Thread: Whaddya want?!
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 05:50 PM   #460 (permalink)
TechnicLePanther
and the livin' is easy...

Album: Huono Parturi
Artist: Höyry-kone
Genre: Brutal Prog
Suggested by: grindy
Familiarity: None.

Is grindy even around anymore? Whatever, let's get through this. It's some proggy quasi-metal stuff, not too bad. The interplay of the strings and the guitars can create some awesome texture, and the melodic lines which are often just skirted around are quite nice. I kind of wish the album leaned more into that aspect. The vocals are well performed, but often the rest of the composition seems to tone itself down to allow the vocal line to break through. And whatever this guy is doing is not, in my opinion, as interesting as the instrumental lines.

I like the obvious Finnish cultural flavor to this record, it's a unique sound that we really don't get much of here in the west. A lot of the more transgressive Russian bands have this same folk overtone to them. The feel of the album doesn't stick to one thing too much either, which is nice. A lot of this album reminds me of Mr. Bungle's flip-flopping. One exception to the rule of vocals being uninteresting would be the title track, which has got a lot of very playful lines throughout. That middle section in Kala with the intertwining voices is also one of the most beautiful moments on the album.

I really do wish this album had more beauty to it. Some of the tracks eschew tonality a little too much for my taste. This is an issue I have with a lot of avant-prog. It often just devolves into senseless wankery. Just because you can play any notes you want to doesn't mean you should. Rhythmic complexity is a lot more acceptable. Now that I think of it, some segments also remind me of a less melodically oriented Tool. And also with a bit more variety. Not that Tool is bad, they just get a bit boring if you listen for too long.

And with that I'm drifting away from the point, so I'll conclude by saying that this is a pretty darn good album which I am happy to have been shown, so thanks to grindy wherever he's gotten off to. Now he'll pop in to say he's still here immediately after this post. Let's just say like a 7/10.

SUGGEST ME AN ALBUM - I'm probably not going to listen to it but I will if you bother me enough.
TechnicLePanther is offline   Reply With Quote