Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Opinions
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 07:12 PM   #779 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
I think scarcity is a rather universal mindset. Middle class people tend to live beyond their means and thus strive earn more. Rich people tend to strive to be richer.

But the lower you go on the economic ladder the more life and death this game starts to feel.

As for existential angst... I experienced it even being poor. That's more of a matter how much you read etc than money. Most poor people are just stupid.
It's like you didn't read anything I said and just restated what you already thought.

Or course scarcity is a universal mindset. It's what all of humanity evolved to live in. So of course it will always be what drives us and will always be what drives us to accumulate more no matter how much we have. So therefore accumulation is a mechanic of humanity and not an end goal. Once you have accumulated "enough" you must therefore find a way to satisfy that mechanic differently because it will still be your driving instinct regardless of whether or not it is necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'd say yes ofc

but you can't deny that there's happy af poor people and miserable comfortable people

it seems sometimes as if you solved all of humanities problems you might still barely make a dent in Unhappiness
Happiness is a temporary emotion that was never an evolutionary thing meant to last. It's a carrot to encourage humans to strive, it is not an end goal. No human society will ever solve unhappiness because unhappiness is a feature and not a bug.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote