Music Banter - View Single Post - The John Zorn Shuffler
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 01:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
Mondo Bungle
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene

Locus Solus - 50th Birthday Celebration Volume 3, 2004

Lineup:

John Zorn – alto saxophone
Anton Fier – drums
Arto Lindsay – guitar, voice

Quote:
In September 2003, Zorn celebrated his 50th birthday with a month-long series of performances at Tonic in New York, repeating an event he had begun a decade earlier at the Knitting Factory.[168][169][170] He conceptualized the month into several different aspects of his musical output. Zorn's bands performed on the weekends, classical ensembles were featured on Sundays, Zorn performed improvisations with other musicians on Mondays, featured his extended compositions on Tuesdays and a retrospective of game pieces on Wednesdays.[171] A total of 12 live albums were released on his 50th Birthday Celebration Series.
I imagine there will be a good amount of albums along the way that I simply won't have much to say about. Not due to any quality issues regarding the music, but many things will surely fall under the category of "standard John Zorn fare." Like this here.

A trio from the original Locus Solus album is reunited for the birthday bash, spazzing away with a raucous set somewhat comparative to the original but obviously very stripped down to roots. Whether or not it's anything special within the Zornography, it's still a couple pals having a good time with their apoplectic jam sesh. Tight and off the sonic chain.

And you can always praise Arto Lindsay.

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote